Lead-silver and gold ore was first discovered here in 1874. The little camp of Lodi was formed. The town had at least 100 residents by 1878. By 1880, the boom was over and the mine had produced over $400,000. Things were quiet until the mine came to life again in 1905 and Marble camp was formed at the mine. A new 100-ton smelter was finished in June of 1909.
The smelter only operated a few months before the mine closed again though. This time due to high
The mine lay abandoned once again until 1921 when another rich discovery was made the mine went back into operation. That ore body lasted for around seven years (until 1928) and the mine fell idle once more.
Last Updated on August 2, 2020 by Guy Starbuck